Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Autoprop vs Maxprop and specs of each

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hi Pat

Thank you very much for this most helpful information. Today I received a quotation here in Cape Town on the Maxprop and it is R56,000 + 15% VAT for what they call the Maxprop 111 40mm shaft to your same spec.

As the two Bill's have recommended I will stay with the Autoprop which I really do like.

Bill Rouse also just reminded me that any fishing line caught around the prop would give these same small vibrations and the other thing I did differently was to put the normal Micron 350 antifoul paint on the prop since my usual "Propspeed" paint was not available in South Africa and their replacement product has poor reviews with some of the other locals I met in the yard.

Quite possibly the micron paint has partially peeled off causing these minor vibrations? We dive on the prop tomorrow.

Best regards
Colin

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:53 PM Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Colin, I never had the Autoprop ,but I just installed a Max prop classic. I paid about $3400. ,I am very happy with the motoring performance ,as good as the fixed prop. I have yet sailed with it ,but should have less drag than an Autoprop. I have a 78 hp. Volvo TMD22A ,22" prop set at 20 degrees ,approx. a 15/12 pitch. Top rpm is now 200 more at 3300 rpms and 8.5 kts. in flat water, new bottom.

Pat
SM#123