Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Autoprop vs Maxprop and specs of each

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hi Bill

Thank you once again for this very helpful information. As per my earlier direct email, I will keep you informed as we proceed down your list of potential issues.

Best regards
Colin

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 11:10 PM Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Colin,

In the years since Henri left, Amel has eliminated, or changed many things. Most of these were to reduce cost. A few, I believe, were to change to off-the-shelf components rather than Amel-made. These reasons really make sense to me, especially when I see SMs that have never rigged dual downwind poles. I would not read anything else into the Amel change of propellers.

Bruntons AutoProp states 800 hours, but most of my clients will go 1200-1600 without issue. I installed new bearings at 1600, having greased the bearings every 2 years.

Both MaxProp and AutoProp are good feathering propellers. I recommend that you renew the bearings in your AutoProp because you already own the AutoProp.

Your vibration could be worn motor mounts and C-Drive mounts; and worn Vetus Coupling rubber donuts. The worn motor mounts could have possibly caused your engine to be slightly out-of-alignment with the C-Drive. You could have loose bolts on the Coupling. And, don't forget, vibration can come from a slightly fouled propeller.

I hope this helps you make a decision.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool..com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be considered when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any mechanical and/or electrical device or system referred to above.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 1:53 PM Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Colin, I never had the Autoprop ,but I just installed a Max prop classic. I paid about $3400. ,I am very happy with the motoring performance ,as good as the fixed prop. I have yet sailed with it ,but should have less drag than an Autoprop. I have a 78 hp. Volvo TMD22A ,22" prop set at 20 degrees ,approx. a 15/12 pitch. Top rpm is now 200 more at 3300 rpms and 8.5 kts. in flat water, new bottom.

Pat
SM#123

-----Original Message-----
From: colin..d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Wed, Oct 10, 2018 12:42 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Autoprop vs Maxprop and specs of each

We serviced our autoprop 18 months ago but with so much time in Asia, Maldives etc with little to no wind we have already exceeded the recommended 800 - 1000hrs use after which it is time to re-service the Autoprop by changing all bearings.

Having done 1400 hrs since the last autoprop bearing replacement we have developed a very slight vibration noticeable at engine speeds over 1800 rpms which we saw previously and which disappeared as son as the autoprop bearings were replaced last time.

I now hear that Amel moved the spec from Autoprop to Maxprop due to similar issues some years after our 2001 SM was manufactured?

Question 1.
Does anyone on this group know the specs of the correct sized Maxprop which would match our Yanmar 75hp on the SM? If not, what is the spec of the Maxprop which Amel fitted to later SM's?

Question 2.
Does anyone here have experience of both the Autoprop and the Maxprop on their SM's? Any noticable difference in performance, top speed and prop noise?

We are in touch with Bruntons in UK and will probably order a replacement bearing set in the next day or so but before I spend that money I would like to think about the alternative of rather moving to a new Maxprop. Any ideas on the prices of these as I believe they are significantly cheaper than the Autoprop?

We arrived into Cape Town early this morning after spending the past 1..75 years seeing all of the Indian Ocean. Great to be in one of the worlds most beautiful cities and back in the Atlantic Ocean. We depart Cape Town for Caribbean in late November.

Thanks

Colin Streeter
SV Island Pearl II, sm #332
Royal Cape Yacht Club, Cape Town, South Africa

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.