Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Autoprop vs Maxprop and specs of each

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hi Bill

Thank you once again for this very helpful information. As per my earlier direct email, I will keep you informed as we proceed down your list of potential issues.

Best regards
Colin

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 11:10 PM Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Colin,

In the years since Henri left, Amel has eliminated, or changed many things. Most of these were to reduce cost. A few, I believe, were to change to off-the-shelf components rather than Amel-made. These reasons really make sense to me, especially when I see SMs that have never rigged dual downwind poles. I would not read anything else into the Amel change of propellers.

Bruntons AutoProp states 800 hours, but most of my clients will go 1200-1600 without issue. I installed new bearings at 1600, having greased the bearings every 2 years.

Both MaxProp and AutoProp are good feathering propellers. I recommend that you renew the bearings in your AutoProp because you already own the AutoProp.

Your vibration could be worn motor mounts and C-Drive mounts; and worn Vetus Coupling rubber donuts. The worn motor mounts could have possibly caused your engine to be slightly out-of-alignment with the C-Drive. You could have loose bolts on the Coupling. And, don't forget, vibration can come from a slightly fouled propeller.

I hope this helps you make a decision.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool..com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 1:53 PM Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Colin, I never had the Autoprop ,but I just installed a Max prop classic. I paid about $3400. ,I am very happy with the motoring performance ,as good as the fixed prop. I have yet sailed with it ,but should have less drag than an Autoprop. I have a 78 hp. Volvo TMD22A ,22" prop set at 20 degrees ,approx. a 15/12 pitch. Top rpm is now 200 more at 3300 rpms and 8.5 kts. in flat water, new bottom.

Pat
SM#123