Re: SM Turnbuckle

Craig Briggs

Hi Paul,

Let's see if I've got this about right - the underwriters and bean counters think that statistically the financial risk to their company of old turnbuckles failing is low enough that they'll take it on, although they do want you to replace the wires.

Will they be crewing with you on your offshore passages?

I kinda think brother Joel still has a point. And I recall the turnbuckles were a relatively small portion of the total rigging cost.

Then again, we lost a mizzen forward lower while coastal cruising off Sicily and, other than the loud crack scaring the livin' bejezus out of us, it in no way jeopardized the boat. It was the wire breaking at the lower swage on the original 18 year old ACMO rigging. We patched it and continued our season, but did replace all rigging (and turnbuckles) that winter.

Cheers,  Craig SN68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote :

I asked my Insurer Y Yacht about rigg failure and only replacing the wire and not the turnbuckle. The answer wasdo

 Rig failures on Amels are not a serious problem and your plans for changing the standing rigging  are perfectly acceptable.

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259

We plan to change the standing rigging this season when we get to Martinique. I assume the current turnbuckles are made from stainless steel and need to be replaced as well. Better material for a turnbuckle is bronze, crome or nickel plated. Then next time to change the standing rigging it should be enough to just replace the wire not the bronze turnbuckles.. Anyone having bronze turnbuckles or anyone having thought of the issue?

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259

Hi Paul,

If they are the original turnbuckles from ACMO, that Amel uses, they are chromed bronze, not stainless steel. Brother Joel insists the best practice is to replace all turnbuckles (& clevis pins, etc.) whenever you do the rigging. He also recommends switching to mechanical fittings like Norseman or Sta-loc, at least on the bottom ends, rather than the swaged fittings that Amel/ACMO used originally. He's got a point.

Cheers, Craig SN68