TMD22 Turbo to Injector Pump tube

Mike Ondra

15OCT18 Further research has revealed that the tube leading from the turbo to the fuel injector pump is known as the “turbocharger-fuel injection pump smoke limiter”, also known as a “boost compensator”.  See schematic below. It would seem that pressures in the turbo through this tube affect the output of the injector pump. “smoke limiter” may imply that this compensates at low RPM reduces fuel throughput and smoke. Might improper function of this mechanism impact top end RPM?

8OCT18 After removing the turbo in the process of diagnosing a low RPM (2400 max with clean bottom and prop) issue and cleaning it up, it seems to be OK. However there is a damaged tube that leads from the top of the Injector Pump to a fitting near the bottom of the turbo. In the diagram below it starts with part 61 at the Injector Pump and proceeds to the turbo directly in our installation (we don't have the intervening parts 60-65, just part 28) The full kit as shown is Part 57. On ours the entire connection is with a small (maybe 1/8") black flexible plastic(?) tube. Does anyone know the functionality of this connection? Might it contribute to low RPM? Seems odd to be feeding diesel fuel to the turbo.

Thanks,

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240

Rock Hall, MD (soon to be in St. Augustine for the winter)