Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Recommended charts for sailing the Bahamas

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning James,

I spent 1.5 years in the Bahamas and used the Explorer Charts, I definitely recommend them.
They are a wealth of informations on anchoring recommendations, approach, etc.

I will also add to the quality of their paper.
After Hurricane Irma, NIKIMAT was 3 months and 1 week under water. When raised I saw the charts, I rinse them, dry them, was going to keep them as memories, but another Super Maramu owners ask for them, so now they are continuing their journey.

I also used Navionics and was definitely happy with them, I found it more precise than Garmin which I also had.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Recommended charts for sailing the Bahamas
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 7:55 AM

Fellow Amelians:  Though this is not
an "Amel-specific" question, I pose this to you
because I would like to know your experience sailing the
Bahamas with a 6'7" or more draft.

have heard that Explorer Charts are perhaps the most
reliable regarding depth soundings in this region.  I would
like to know if any of you use Navionics while in the
Bahamas, and if so, is it adequate?
Ultimately, I am trying to
determine if I need to supplement my Navionics digital
charts and Maptech paper charts with something else.

I appreciate your input as
always!
JamesSV
SoteriaSM2K 347Portsmouth, RI