Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Recommended charts for sailing the Bahamas

James Cromie

Thanks for the feedback.
Are the explorer cmap digital charts worthwhile?  This would mean using a Cmap chart reader software on a PC, as my BG Zeus chart plotter isn’t compatible with CMAP format.  What experience do any of you have with PC based chart readers for this format?

James

On Oct 16, 2018, at 10:34 AM, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I would not trust Navionics on depth, only the explorer charts. Routinely navionics was off. Set up the waypoints from the explorer charts on your chart plotter and hold to the tracks. With this method you will be safe with a very high likelihood.

I shaved some sea grass once in 5 meter water (on navionics) with our keel.

Porter
IBIS
54-152

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Oct 16, 2018, at 9:14 AM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

James,

Navionics charts work well but the best charts are the Explorer Charts (paper guides). They show anchorages and note areas of good holding and the depths are very accurate. In the Abaco Islands the best charts we found were in Steve Dodge’s The Cruising Guide to Abaco, Bahamas. This guide include routes in the Abacos with a nine foot draft.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Aruba

www.creampuff.us