Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Recommended charts for sailing the Bahamas.

Hi Gang,

FWIW… we use Navionics on iPad Pro along with Ovitalmap.

Bit of a chore initially as you need to download “hi-res” Google Earth charts for the places you wish to visit.  Once loaded, they remain in memory.  No internet needed.

Ovital map is very precise and one determines the water depth by the map shades/color.  VERY useful in French Polynesia and again in Tonga.  Of course our radar and Sonar help too.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM007
Tonga.

On 17 Oct 2018, at 01:55, jamescromie@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Fellow Amelians:  Though this is not an "Amel-specific" question, I pose this to you because I would like to know your experience sailing the Bahamas with a 6'7" or more draft.

I have heard that Explorer Charts are perhaps the most reliable regarding depth soundings in this region.  I would like to know if any of you use Navionics while in the Bahamas, and if so, is it adequate?

Ultimately, I am trying to determine if I need to supplement my Navionics digital charts and Maptech paper charts with something else.

I appreciate your input as always!

James

SV Soteria

SM2K 347