Ballooner Not Locking

Ian Shepherd

The last few times I have used my ballooner it has failed to lock into the swivel. The halyard run looks normal and I have tried various rotational positions other than the recommended one of the slot facing dead aft. It still refuses to lock. I am wondering if the swivel should be lower to offset the rearwards departure of the halyard as the hook nears the top? I could only lower the genoa by a few inches before it touches the pulpit rails. I have tried both my nylon and aluminium hooks with and without the sail attached. The mousetrap on the swivel looks and functions normally, or did a few weeks ago when I had the genoa down after the problem first appeared.

Any thoughts please? I love using this sail.

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader (2003)