Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Ballooner Not Locking

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi. The main swivel has a tongue going into the slot to locate it. Over time it wears through and no longer locates. I think you will find  this is your trouble. It is on a small plate held in place by two machine screws. Take this plate off and you will likely find the tongue is gone. Just get a new one made and welded on to the plate
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean pearl

On 18/10/2018 19:53, "Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The last few times I have used my ballooner it has failed to lock into
the swivel. The halyard run looks normal and I have tried various
rotational positions other than the recommended one of the slot facing
dead aft. It still refuses to lock. I am wondering if the swivel should
be lower to offset the rearwards departure of the halyard as the hook
nears the top? I could only lower the genoa by a few inches before it
touches the pulpit rails. I have tried both my nylon and aluminium hooks
with and without the sail attached. The mousetrap on the swivel looks
and functions normally, or did a few weeks ago when I had the genoa down
after the problem first appeared.

Any thoughts please? I love using this sail.

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader (2003)