Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Leroy Somers Outhaul gearbox and motor

John Clark

Hi Kent,
    the gearboxes on Annie were in poor condition when I bought the boat.  i replaced them in their entirety.  If the top plate on the box is damaged maybe the simplest way forward is to just buy a new gearbox.  I had Bonfig's and they were about $200 USD in the US.  I realize yours are different but i cannot imagine that the cost would vary too much.

As far as the seals are concerned I think that most mechanical parts found in an assembly like these gear boxes is an off the shelf part.  If you have the casing and shaft diameter and the depth you can most likely replace the seal with another brand.

I rooted around on the forum last year when rebuilding the emergency main furling gearbox.  It took a bit but in the forum there were parts lists with easily sourced  contemporary replacements.....for example the thrust bearing is also the front wheel bearing for an Acura NSX, the seals were from a Nissan..... you get the idea.   Do a deepo dive oon the foorum and see if you can find someone else who did the same job.

       Regards,  John
SV Annie
SM 37
Hartman Bay Grenada

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 9:23 AM karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Amelians,
I am doing maintenance on my outhaul gear box, and need new lip seals. The gears still look great and the grease looks new without any evidence of water intrusion.

The double lip ones on the main shaft are unusual in that there is a steel plate embedded in the crown of the seals. It is ferrous and rusty. They are ID 35mm OD 45mm Depth 5mm, and marked:
ERIKS -F 2 BAF SL DRW 30 45 5

After trying other seal manufacturers, Leroy Somers USA, and Amel, I still haven’t found anyplace that can/will sell them to me. Maud says she can’t help.

I’m waiting to hear back from ERIKS but have little hope that they will be able to source them.

First question: what is the steel plate embedded in the crown of the seals for? Would a seal without the plate work just as well?

Second: has anyone found a source for these seals?

Third: The upper plate on the gearbox was broken getting it off of the boom. Has anyone had one of these made at a machine shop? Any issues?

As usual, thank you for your help and expertise.

Happy Sailing
Kent
SM 243
KRISTY