Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Ballooner Not Locking

Danny Simms

Hi Bill,
further to my last. The reason it won't be over the slot is because the tongue I described being worn off. I struggled with the same problem before it was pointed out to me by another amelian.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 04:37, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ian,

I have found one issue you might have a look at.  I am sure there are others that people with more Amel time than I have come across.

I haven't noticed it being sensitive to the exact height on the foil, although I haven't tested it much in that regard.

If latch actually works with all the parts in hand, it might be an alignment issue.  Keep the lashing line from the head of the genoa very short, and be sure that the head swivel is rotating smoothly.  You want to be sure that the latch stays directly over the proper slot in the foil. If it rotates off center a bit it doesn't latch.

Bill Kinney
Sm160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@...,
The last few times I have used my ballooner it has failed to lock into
the swivel. The halyard run looks normal and I have tried various
rotational positions other than the recommended one of the slot facing
dead aft. It still refuses to lock. I am wondering if the swivel should
be lower to offset the rearwards departure of the halyard as the hook
nears the top? I could only lower the genoa by a few inches before it
touches the pulpit rails. I have tried both my nylon and aluminium hooks
with and without the sail attached. The mousetrap on the swivel looks
and functions normally, or did a few weeks ago when I had the genoa down
after the problem first appeared.

Any thoughts please? I love using this sail.

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader (2003)