Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan generator exhaust sensor [2 Attachments]

Alin,

If you have 2 wires on each terminal, I suspect that you have another sensor or switch  wired parallel to the elbow sensor, which is normally closed. The second sensor may also be normally closed and is open due to a fault.

The part number that Ian and I  gave you is a normally closed temperature activated sensor switch. Before you do anything, check the continuity of the sensor you have.

The Onan generator used in Amel Super Maramus changed over the years. There may be as many as 4 or 5 different models. I suggest that when asking about the Onan, you always state your model. The fact that your sensor has 2 wires on each terminal and the Onan MDKAV on SM 387 has a single wire on each terminal is probably because of different models.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018, 01:54 Alin Misescu alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill.

Thanks for that.  I have to sets of wires going to each terminal.  Definitely when connected it shuts down. Do you think I should go ahead and order or it might me a different part?
Regards
Alin, SM2k, 283 Wanderer

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 at 12:42, Bill Rouse
<brouse@...> wrote:
I can confirm that it is Switch Temperature Exhaust cutoff Onan Part 309-0295-01

But, I thought it was normally closed.

It sounds like yours is normally open? It may be possible that 1 or more of these are connected in series and the actual fault is on the next in the series.

I had a mechanic on board who accidentally broke that sensor on the exhaust elbow. He did not tell me he broke it and a few days later I found the 2 wires on that sensor tied together. The generator worked fine with them connected and shut down with them disconnected. Of course it is possible that different Onan models operate differently. Here is a photo of the two wires tied together. BTW, that mechanic bought a new cutoff sensor.
image.png

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 2:20 PM Alin Misescu alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hey Ian. Thanks very much for that. Will order one asap.

Best regards.
Alin, SM2k 283 , Wanderer

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 21:10, Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners]

Hi Alin,

The Onan part number is 0309-0295-01 Switch - Temperature. I got a spare from my local Onan dealer. Your problem is not unheard of. Good luck.

Ian shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Marmaris Turkey

On 19/10/2018 09:31, alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my Onan on a SM 2k, the generator starts and dies. After some reading , I discovered the problem, the sensor that is placed on the exhaust elbow. I took the wires and isolated them from each other and it runs perfectly. You put them together, the engine dies. Si I am pretty sure it is the sensor. Do you guys know where I can order it and what do I ask for? Is it called exhaust heat sensor?
Thank you.
Regards,
Alin