Re: Grenada summer insurance

greatketch@...

Steve,

We have been looking at the Pantaenius "hurricane zone" coverage conditions as well since we are considering the Southwest Caribbean for the summer season.  We found the requirements for land storage (Paragraph 1),inside building storage (Paragraph 2) and in-water storage (Paragraph 3) impractical for a vessel that wasn't out of service for the season--if such things are even available in the real world of the islands.  Fortunately there is a Paragraph 4, that we feel would meet our needs:
The insured vessel may be moved in order to avoid the effects of the NTS and prevent damage or loss, provided the vessel is moved in a time, manner, and direction reasonably calculated to avoid the NTS based on the projected path of the NTS and provided the projected path of the NTS is monitored by the insured at all times. If the vessel is moved and then secured, it must be secured in accordance with requirement 1, 2, or 3 above, unless the projected path of the NTS indicates the vessel will not be affected by the NTS.
Certainly not everybody's possible answer, but for most of the Caribbean, if where you are has a bull's eye on it, heading south is (rarely) a mistake.  And if we get to the San Blas Islands, the risk there of a named storm is very small.  Certainly lower risk than anyplace on the USA East Coast south of Maine.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <steve_morrison@...> wrote :

Hello All.  TouRai is presently in Hampton Virginia preparing for the Salty Dawg Rally to the BVI.  As this year's plan may involve a summer in Grenada, we are working with Pantaenius to obtain our new coverage.  While reading through the "Named Tropical Storm Plan Requirements" of my new policy quote, Pantaenius writes:
  1. The insured vessel shall be hauled and secured a unitized cradle suitable for the vessel or in a hurricane pit. With either arrangement, the vessel is to be lashed directly to the ground or to concrete blocks, one concrete block with a minimum weight of 5000 lbs to be located at each lashing anchor point. Lashing is to be accomplished using a minimum of one (1) tensioning strap located symmetrically on each side of the vessel for every 10 feet of vessel length.
    Each strap shall have a minimum breaking strength of 5000 lbs. Single straps may be run transversely across the vessel and lashed to the ground or concrete blocks on both sides of
    the vessel to accomplish required lashings. In addition, the vessel interior and stowage lockers shall be secured and locked to prevent theft and vandalism and all loose or removable items, components, parts, and equipment, including but not limited to personal effects, sails, cushions, canvas, and covers, must be removed and properly secured to prevent damage or loss.

    My question to the members here who have spent time in Grenada is, "how difficult is it to meet such requirements in Grenada?  Is this the sort of set up I can expect to find on short notice, or is this a setup that Pantaenius assumes I can't fulfill?  When summering in Grenada, do you pay a haul out facility to hold a spot for you should you need it?

    Any advice would be welcome as our renewal date is approaching.  Staying below 30.5 already comes with a stiff premium increase through Pantaenius, I just want to believe that I am not paying more for coverage stipulations that I will not be ale to satisfy should the time come.

    All the best to you all as we await the annual 01Nov release...

    Steve Morrison
    SM 380 TouRai
    Hampton, VA