Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Grenada summer insurance

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Well said Bill,

the reality is that the insurers are distancing themselves from hurricane risk.Unfortunately many have policy wording that allows them to escape responsibility in many other situations.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 22 October 2018 at 03:44 "Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have had numerous emails asking me for more info on my interpretation of the wording now used in the Pantaenius policy.

I no longer have the entire policy, just clips that others have posted. As I remember the policy that I read 3 years ago, it was different than what was posted...I could be wrong, but allow me to continue.

As I understand the Pantaenius policy, regardless of your location in the world, if there is a named tropical storm there are specific duties that you must perform to be covered. As example, if your vessel is in the ABCs or Panama, where hurricanes are rare, you must perform all of the following...and I believe that you will not find a place within probably 500 miles that all of the following is available. In fact,  I believe that you will not find all of the following anywhere.

"The insured vessel shall be hauled and secured a unitized cradle suitable for the vessel or in a hurricane pit. With either arrangement, the vessel is to be lashed directly to the ground or to concrete blocks, one concrete block with a minimum weight of 5000 lbs to be located at each lashing anchor point. Lashing is to be accomplished using a minimum of one (1) tensioning strap located symmetrically on each side of the vessel for every 10 feet of vessel length. Each strap shall have a minimum breaking strength of 5000 lbs. Single straps may be run transversely across the vessel and lashed to the ground or concrete blocks on both sides of the vessel to accomplish required lashings. In addition, the vessel interior and stowage lockers shall be secured and locked to prevent theft and vandalism and all loose or removable items, components, parts, and equipment, including but not limited to personal effects, sails, cushions, canvas, and covers, must be removed and properly secured to prevent damage or loss."

I have highlighted undefined terms, which I believe will be defined to  Pantaenius'  benefit at the time of claim, and I also highlighted some requirements that you probably will not be able to perform. For instance, " unitized " is generally defined as "welded together" and we all know that these are usually bolted at some points to allow for adjustment. Who will define " suitable?" What is the definition of "hurricane pit"? I know some yards simply dig a hole. I am not sure. You will have to utilize  single straps run transversely across the vessel and lashed to 5000 pound concrete blocks because you do not have cleats every 10 feet, and I think you will not find single tensioning straps with 5000 pound breaking strength that are long enough to transverse your boat to concrete blocks on the ground. I have never seen the required 12 each 5000 pound concrete blocks at any vessel secured in a hurricane cradle or pit...maybe it exists somewhere, but I haven't seen it. I say 12 because every 10 feet means 6 on each side.

I sincerely hope that the above clears up my thinking on this policy. I will admit that I am somewhat prejudiced based on how a few of our members were recently treated. In one recent case the insurance company used undefined terms to deny most of a total loss. I admit that really irritated me, as well as, all of the rest of you familiar with NIKIMATs total loss claim. I believe that the above policy language is "Loud & Clear" on  Pantaenius'  intentions if a claim is submitted. Only time will tell if I am correct, partially correct, or simply  prejudiced...frankly I really hope that it is the latter.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 11:24 AM Steve Morrison steve_morrison@... [amelyachtowners] < amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello All.  TouRai is presently in Hampton Virginia preparing for the Salty Dawg Rally to the BVI.  As this year's plan may involve a summer in Grenada, we are working with Pantaenius to obtain our new coverage.  While reading through the "Named Tropical Storm Plan Requirements" of my new policy quote, Pantaenius writes:
  1. The insured vessel shall be hauled and secured a unitized cradle suitable for the vessel or in a hurricane pit.. With either arrangement, the vessel is to be lashed directly to the ground or to concrete blocks, one concrete block with a minimum weight of 5000 lbs to be located at each lashing anchor point. Lashing is to be accomplished using a minimum of one (1) tensioning strap located symmetrically on each side of the vessel for every 10 feet of vessel length.
    Each strap shall have a minimum breaking strength of 5000 lbs. Single straps may be run transversely across the vessel and lashed to the ground or concrete blocks on both sides of
    the vessel to accomplish required lashings. In addition, the vessel interior and stowage lockers shall be secured and locked to prevent theft and vandalism and all loose or removable items, components, parts, and equipment, including but not limited to personal effects, sails, cushions, canvas, and covers, must be removed and properly secured to prevent damage or loss.

    My question to the members here who have spent time in Grenada is, "how difficult is it to meet such requirements in Grenada?  Is this the sort of set up I can expect to find on short notice, or is this a setup that Pantaenius assumes I can't fulfill?  When summering in Grenada, do you pay a haul out facility to hold a spot for you should you need it?

    Any advice would be welcome as our renewal date is approaching.  Staying below 30.5 already comes with a stiff premium increase through Pantaenius, I just want to believe that I am not paying more for coverage stipulations that I will not be ale to satisfy should the time come.

    All the best to you all as we await the annual 01Nov release...

    Steve Morrison
    SM 380 TouRai
    Hampton, VA