Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Suddenly screaming noise from the bowthruster and not moving the prop anymore

Willem Kroes

Hello Alexandre,

I am now fort wo weeks on the hard in Cartagena. I ordered the kit for the lower part of the bow thruster and this was installed. Apart from the small change to the key, the end cap did not fit (the holes for the screws have different distances compared to the old end cap. So the original was installed.

After installation I feel a little uncertainty because I can move the prop by hand with the power on the gear off. Is this normal? This because in this way I have to move the electric motor also by hand.

As scheduled I will go into the water tomorrow, but I want to avoid to be hauled immediately again.

Kind regards,

Willem

Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 4:03 AM

Hello fellow Amel
owners,
I just moored my boat in
the El Portet Marina in DENIA, Spain and almost done, the
bow thruster did not function anymore and made a screaming
noise. The prop is still there but it can turn almost
without any resistance.
Any idea what can be wrong
and how to repair is very much
welcome.