Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Suddenly screaming noise from the bowthruster and not moving the prop anymore

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Wileem,

I just read this morning your message to Bill regarding the fact you can move the propeller by hand.

I don’t remember if it is normal, I’d would want to say no, but could be wrong, I hope other can confirm.

Strange the cap did not match the holes… did you rotate it 90 degree to see if it match better? The new one I received matched.
In my case, I had the gear re-machined instead of the key.
(I am a little disappointed Amel did not corrected that error, as I mentioned it 1.5 year ago).

Personally I would wait other people reply (Olivier?) about normal or not about moving the bow thruster propeller by hand.
If “not normal”, then could the splines on the shaft or electric motor be worn out?
These are the last 2 pictures on http://www.nikimat.com/bow_thruster_spin.html

Good luck… sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Suddenly screaming noise from the bowthruster and not moving the prop anymore
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 9:24 AM

Hello Alexandre,

I am now fort wo weeks on the hard
in Cartagena. I ordered the kit for the lower part of the
bow thruster and this was installed. Apart from the small
change

to the key, the end cap did not fit (the holes for the
screws have different distances compared to the old end cap.
So the original was installed.

After installation I feel a little
uncertainty because I can move the prop by hand with the
power on the gear off. Is this normal? This because in this
way I

have to move the electric motor also by hand.

As scheduled I will go into the
water tomorrow, but I want to avoid to be hauled immediately
again.

Kind regards,

Willem

Van: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>

Verzonden: vrijdag 5 oktober 2018 13:10

Aan: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

Onderwerp: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Suddenly screaming
noise from the bowthruster and not moving the prop
anymore

Good morning William,

When it happened to me (same thing: propeller still on bow
thruster - but no movement and screaming sound) it was the
bearing inside the foot that were worn out.

Here are pictures: http://www.nikimat.com/bow_thruster_spin.html

You will need from Amel Part 1110 (Mecanism Pied de
Propulseur SM) the price varies a lot if you purchase it
from Martinique (977 Euro) or La Rochelle (582 Euro)

scroll down to 1110 to see the part:

http://www.nikimat.com/spare_parts_bow_thruster.html

NOTE: Make sure you order with the Tufnol shaft and not the
bearing by themselves as the size of that shaft has changed
(look at the last picture on:

http://www.nikimat.com/bow_thruster_lost_propeller.html
)

NOTE 2: when you receive the 1110 - the small open space to
receive the key on the small gear will have to be machined a
little as it is not thick enough.

If you look at the 2nd picture on

http://www.nikimat.com/bow_thruster_spin.html

You will see where the key goes has not be machine as much
as on the old gear.

You have a good view on picture 6.

Wood luck, sincerely, Alexandre

On Fri, 10/5/18, kavanga@outlook.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Suddenly screaming noise from
the bowthruster and not moving the prop anymore

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 4:03 AM

Hello fellow Amel

owners,

I just moored my boat in

the El Portet Marina in DENIA, Spain and almost done, the

bow thruster did not function anymore and made a
screaming

noise. The prop is still there but it can turn almost

without any resistance.

Any idea what can be wrong

and how to repair is very much

welcome.