Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: mizzen furler failure

Sv Garulfo

An update :

A local machine shop press the shaft out for us.

Initially they thought they might need to cut and thread a metal plate to match the outer tube thread and provide a holding plate but then they simply grabbed it in a turning machine and pushed the shaft out slowly.

In the picture you’ll see there isn’t a huge amount of corrosion but enough to block the rotation against the plastic bushing.

Now I’ll sand it clean, and remount every thing.

I’m thinking mcLube sailkote dry lube for lubrification of the shaft/bushing interface. Any other advice ?

Thanks

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Aruba

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 at 16:37, 'S/V Garulfo' svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks Kelly and Ryan,

We are at the same point of disassembly. So far, soft cleaning of the accessible interface between the plastic sleeve and the metal parts yielded no results; still stuck.

There is very little way to hold the outer metal tube in place. And, should I try to get the inner tube pressed out, it’s going to be tricky to hold the outer tube as the flange is tiny.

I’m really keen to hear what trick Derick’s rigger used to solve the issue.

Thanks
Thomas

GARULFO
A54-122
Aruba

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 at 10:48, Kelly Ran naryllek@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Thomas,

We were not able to free the inner tube and outer sleeve. I do not think the bushing should rigidly couple to either part. In any case, the inner tube should turn pretty easily inside the sleeve.

The most dissasembly we could do was unthread the horizontal part all the way and remove the forward part of the inner tube. The inner tube is 2 parts, and the forward section is bolted on.

If you detach the foil, you can screw on the horizontal part again ... the bevel gears will start meshing as you engage more threads, but you won't really be driving anything (as the foil is not attached). You will need to take care that the "pinned" position corresponds to the foil position that you want.

FWIW the new furler gearbox that we received from Amel is buttersmooth and infinitely easier to use than our original seized gearbox..  I fear that only my left arm will get a workout (outhaul), as the right arm (furling) does not need much effort anymore.  (The new part also has a seal that seems to have completely disintegrated on the old part. Which makes me think that if you dissasemble and grease the part, it will still need a seal. This is a red annular seal that goes around the base of the foil attachment part as it exits the gearbox. (There is also a neoprene-ish washer inside the foil attachment part to dampen the foil's axial motion?))

Keep us updated on your progress; we will want to refurbish our old gearbox when we have more time. Thanks and good luck,
kelly + ryan
SM233 Iteration
Newport

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 4:31 PM 'S/V Garulfo' svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Derick, Ryan and Kelly,

We have the same situation with our mizzen gearbox. The horizontal tube is seized; the outer sleeve, the nylon bushing and the inner tube coupling the gears to the winch handle female bit are all solidly stuck together.
Is there any advice on how to make them work freely again? Is the nylon bushing meant to be solidly coupled to either the outer sleeve or the inner tube?

Also, as a result of that seizure, I think the thread between the horizontal elements and the gearbox appears to have slipped. Any idea if that could be remediated in any way?

Thanks

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Aruba

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 at 19:18, Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks, Derick.  That's great info, and matches the diagram I received from Amel (which I intend to upload to the files section when I get a chance).  Do you have any idea how the rigger separated the pieces of the tube?  Also, did you simply screw it back in, and it turns freely enough that it doesn't unscrew itself again?

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:37 PM derickgates@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ryan,

I had the same problem on Brava. The piece in your picture had frozen up, and I needed to take it to a rigger. The rigger was able to remove the inner tube from the outer tube, and clean and regrease it so that then it turned freely. If you then disengage the gearbox from the mizzen foil, you can remove it and see how the piece you have pictured screws into the gearbox. There are only a few threads between the two pieces. While you have the gearbox out, you can grease it too.

Derick Gates
SM2K #400 Brava

Currently on the hard in Antigua