Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Helm station light

Craig Briggs

Mark,
My pleasure - it was just a stab in the dark but I'm  glad it worked!
Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <mark_pitt@...> wrote :

Hi Craig,

  In the end, I took your suggestion.  There was just a small nub of wire available and it was impossible to pull the cable to make more wire available.  However, I was still able to connect a new wire to the nub of unused wire protruding from the cable, and now my helm lights works again.  Thanks.

  Mark Pitt

  Sabbatical III, SM #419, Lanzarote, Canary Islands

On 10/29/2018 8:56 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
Hi Mark,
Do either of the two cut off wires have 0 resistance, such that you could use that for the negative?
Cheers, Craig Briggs, SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <mark_pitt@...> wrote :

The dome light at the helm station of Sabbatical III no longer works.  My multi-meter shows only 18 volts and there is substantial resistance on the positive (blue) wire but none on the negative (black) wire.  So I need to pull a new wire.  The existing (original) wire is a grey, round cable containing four wires, two of which are cut off at each end.  It is easy to find in the ceiling space revealed by the sliding ceiling panel just forward of the autopilot locker in the galley.  It disappears by itself into a hole and then apparently comes up in the center section of the hard dodger.  There seems to be a rubber gland where this part of the dodger sits on the deck.  I guess that the electrical cable goes through that gland.

My question is:  Do I have to remove the dodger in order to replace this electrical cable? I have pulled on this cable with only moderate force and it did not budge.  I wish to avoid removing the dodger at this point in time.  Has any one replaced this cable?  Thanks.