Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: mizzen furler failure

Danny Simms

Hi Gary,
I have no problem with my mizzen furler. Works perfectly. Just considering prevention rather than cure. Are you saying a water flush would go through and rinse salt out internally? The person (sorry, name escapes me) who just fitted a new gearbox commented it felt heavier than the old one and asked if it was full of grease. Also on my main furler there was a trickle of oil coming out of the input shaft so I replaced the seal. The two gearboxes look much the same. I am a great believer in lubrication and feel  uncomfortable I've done nothing with these.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 at 05:05, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

DANNY:

Do NOT add a grease nipple to the mizzen furling gearbox. The box is designed to run with minimal grease and adding more will accrete salt & dirt accumulations. I undertook a laborious complete overhaul of my gearbox (better termed a gear cannister as it is all cylindrical), and came away impressed with it’s elegant simplicity and lack of need for lube. Also came away with knowledge that my teardown wasn’t needed. Thirough and frequent rinsing with fresh water is the best maintenance. I will write up a complete teardown and re-build article shortly. In the meantime, just start rinsing the shaft area with fresh water, also run fresh water into the gap at the top of the cylinder, it will flush the delrin bearings and drain out the two drain holes on the bottom of the cannister. If your gearbox is frozen it is almost assuredly at the winch handle shaft. The shaft is two pieces and rides within teflon or HDPE sleeves. Binding is due to salt & dirt accretions. Hence the need for copious fresh water rinsing. Again, DO NOT add grease, More soon.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
AMEL SM 2000 # 335
On the hard, Puerto Del Rey