Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Main sheet boom slider broken

Mike Ondra

Thanks for the heads up Paul.
Our slider also showed signs of cracking. See attached photo. As it happened we stopped in at Hampton over night to allow weather to moderate off Hatteras and the shop was only a 20 minute walk from the marina. Replacement piece very nicely done and powder-coated. Andre and Ashley Gilliam we're very nice even giving me a lift back to the boat. They have 5 more boom slides for anyone who is interested at $205.
We had one of our ballooner hookers break so I left it with him as a pattern to see if they could fabricate a new one out of aluminum. Will follow up with information as it becomes available.
Mike Ondra
Aletes SM240
Southbound to St. Augustine.

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Droid

On Oct 31, 2018 8:59 PM, "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,

There have indeed been quite a number boats with failures of this item. Two things to consider when having one made. First, not all aluminum is created equal. Be sure to quiz the fabricator as to the correct grade. Second, consider making it longer, say twice as long to make it more robust.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 01 November 2018 at 10:33 "pstas2003@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good day fellow sailors.

I didn’t pay too much attention to this topic when I read it as I didn’t think we had the problem.  However, a week or so ago, when Chuck and Kim on S/V Joy stopped by, Chuck had me take a close look and sure enough, we had some cracks in our block.  Chuck’s was in worse shape than ours.  He removed his and found a local fabricator here in Hampton, VA to make a new one.  I jumped on board and had one made for myself as well.

Chuck instructed the fabricator to make the new one larger in the hopes that it would be stronger.  We were both happy with the finished product (see pics).

The fabricator made a bunch of extras (I think 6) if anyone is interested in obtaining one.  The cost out the door was $205.00.

The fabricator can be contacted at:

Gilliam Welding
757-727-0773
Metals at GilliamWelding dot com
www.GilliamWelding.com

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Cruising US East Coast

Posted by: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>

Check out the automatic photo album with 3 photo(s) from this topic.
boom block (1 of 1).jpg IMG_0771.JPG IMG_0775.JPG