Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SSB radio and Satellite phone?

Stephen Davis

I pay just under $150/mo with all taxes for unlimited data and texting, and 150 min of sat phone talk time per month. They have less expensive plans, but I don’t like to worry about data usage.

Steve
Aloha SM72

On Nov 10, 2018, at 10:56, Arthur Sundqvist arthur@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you Steve!

What is the estimated cost for the Iridium Go per month?

Arthur Sundqvist
SM 435, Vista

10 nov. 2018 kl. 21:00 skrev Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

We have both, and a Pactor 4 modem. I like redundancy, and would not be content relying on a sole source. We keep our sail mail account up to date, and generally use the Iridium Go and sail docs for weather. We can use the modem if necessary, but I find the Iridium faster and more reliable. We use Predict Wind as well, but find I get more detailed weather info from sail docs. Predict Wind allows me to get the euro model GRIBS, and sail docs does not.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Hawaii

On Nov 10, 2018, at 9:41 AM, arthur@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 Do I need both SSB and Satellite phone when going to the Pacific?

You who have only the satellite phone, what does it cos per month to download  the weather every day for predict wind?

You who are really far out there and know a lot what is your suggestion and advice?

Arthur Sundqvist

SM 435, VISTA