Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SSB radio and Satellite phone?

Mark Erdos

Authur,

I 100% agree with Steve. We have both SSB + Pactor and Sat-Phone. Redundancy is best if you can afford it.

We use a minimal plan on the sat-phone and pay about $60 per month and about $1.50 per minute. We only ever use the phone on extended passages and when the SSB is problematic. To receive a grib file of weather takes about 5 minutes using the phone as a modem for our ships navigation computer. We do not use Iridium Go but use the phone as a data modem connected to the computer. This yields a lot more options for connection. We can lay weather over charts and view it along our planned route using Nobeltec TZ software. We calculated that it is less expensive to use the data and pay as we go rather than pay a higher monthly fee and not use it. It seems we sit still for long periods or have access to wi-fi. The highest bill be have ever had was about $200 using it daily for 2 weeks.

I personally prefer the SSB and find it a little faster. Cindy prefers the SSB when she does it.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Aruba

www.creampuff.us