Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] day fuel tank

michael winand

Thanks Bill.
I am looking at this for a little extra fuel capacity  say 100-120litres and to also be able to get the filtration system sorted.
A pump system through a large  filter to the day tank. Day tank over flow back to the main.
In a large seaway I will be more comfortable with knowing that when the main tank is down to the last 100 liters  I have a good supply at the day tank.
Current setup has the engine having to suck fuel  as the main  tank gets down to 1/3 .
I am thinking that gravity feed from above wouldn't hurt.
I would still have a second set of filters on the day tank.
Regards Michael

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 at 14:26, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]
wrote:

This is really a matter of cruising style and preference.  Some people feel that a Super Maramu's installed fuel capacity is not adequate for a world cruising boat, and others worry about fuel going bad before they use it.  Neither approach is wrong, it really is a matter of taste.  Some people fire up the engine anytime boat speed drops below 5 knots.  Others are perfectly happy drifting along at 2 knots.

I know our boat has already been around the world--TWICE--with only the factory installed fuel tank.  I decided not to add complexity--and weight--by changing an obviously successful design.

Don't forget, by dropping your speed from 6 knots to 5 knots you--almost--double your motoring range.  Go to 4 knots and you--almost--double it again.

I don't have a recommendation on how to install a day tank, just an observation that it MIGHT not be the way you want to go.  If you do want to go that way, I know several people on this forum have, and will have good ideas on how to do it.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood Florida, USA