MY-day fuel tank

eric freedman

Hi,

I had 2-35 Gallon aluminum tanks fitted into the port “liferaft “ locker.

They are each independent of the main fuel tank. Each one has a fuel fill, a vent, and a pickup tube connected to ball valves and  hose barbs. I had them fitted with ¾ inch square rod on the bottom in case water gets into the locker, the tanks will not be sitting in water.

There is also a drain with a ball valve in the engine room to drain any water in the locker.

When it comes time to transfer the fuel into the tank, I attach a jabsco vane puppy transfer pump to the hose barb, and run the pumps output hose to the primary tank. I (Thanks to Ian Jenkins) had a very large fuel filter and pump attached via a “Y” valve to the primary tank. Thus the fuel is filtered before it goes into the tank.

I also use this extra fuel filter when taking on fuel. The filter is the same one you see on high capacity fuel pumps on gas docks- It is about 15 inches high and 6 inches in diameter.

I also had Amel fit a 24 volt outlet in the cockpit for this purpose.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Date: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 10:11 PM

Thanks Bill.I
am looking at this for a little extra fuel capacity  say
100-120litres and to also be able to get the filtration
system sorted. A
pump system through a large  filter to the day tank. Day
tank over flow back to the main. In
a large seaway I will be more comfortable with knowing that
when the main tank is down to the last 100 liters  I have a
good supply at the day tank. Current
setup has the engine having to suck fuel  as the main
tank gets down to 1/3 . I
am thinking that gravity feed from above wouldn't
hurt. I
would still have a second set of filters on the day
tank. Regards
Michael

Sent
from Yahoo7 Mail on Android
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 at
14:26, greatketch@...
[amelyachtowners]
wrote:

This is really a matter of cruising style and
preference.  Some people feel that a Super Maramu's
installed fuel capacity is not adequate for a world cruising
boat, and others worry about fuel going bad before they use
it.  Neither approach is wrong, it really is a matter of
taste.  Some people fire up the engine anytime boat speed
drops below 5 knots.  Others are perfectly happy drifting
along at 2 knots.
know our boat has already been around the world--TWICE--with
only the factory installed fuel tank.  I decided not to add
complexity--and weight--by changing an obviously successful
design.
Don't
forget, by dropping your speed from 6 knots to 5 knots
you--almost--double your motoring range.  Go to 4 knots and
you--almost--double it again.
I don't have a recommendation on
how to install a day tank, just an observation that it MIGHT
not be the way you want to go.  If you do want to go that
way, I know several people on this forum have, and will have
good ideas on how to do it.
Bill KinneySM160,
HarmonieHollywood Florida,
USA