Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan Raw Water Cooling System Maintenance

Bill,

What hull number/year? Has the Onan cooling system ever been overhauled? How many hours on the Onan? Who is the technician or company and what product or chemicals are recommended?

As an alternative, you could remove hoses, raw water pump, manifold, and exhaust elbow, then take the metal parts to a shop that cleans radiators. Have these components chemically cleaned. Repaint and reinstall the components using new gaskets. Install new end caps and zinc on the heat exchanger. Rebuild the raw water pump and install a new impeller.

My guess is that this method is at least twice as good as the run-the-stuff through the sea water cooling system and likely close to the same cost. And, if you rebuild this way, you will basically have a new cooling system.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018, 04:04 pacificcool@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@... wrote:

I have Amel 141 from 1995.   Pacific Cool is currently in Fort Lauderdale for the hurricane season.  The technician looking after my boat for me recommended in an email I flush the Onan raw water cooling system with a special process that takes 10 hours and involves many fills and flushes including running the genset for four hours with an additive included.  Unfortunately, I cannot contact him at the moment to get more info.  It's apparently to remove rust build-up.   Does anyone know what this is all about.

Regards
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool