Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Anchor question

Stephen Davis

Hi James,

We also have the 40 kg Rocna, and have found it to be a fantastic anchor. I know Munjack Cay very well, and most of the bottom there is a thin layer of sand, and a very hard bottom below the sand that almost no anchor will penetrate. In the Bahamas with shallow and clear water, it is better to always just dive the anchor. FYI...the Atlantic side of Munjack has some fantastic diving and snorkeling if the ocean is calm enough to get your dinghy out there.

Regards,

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Ko Olina, Hawaii

On Nov 28, 2018, at 00:09, jamescromie@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

To all Amel Super Maramu owners:

I'd like to know what others are using as their primary anchor.  I have dragged in the middle of the night with a mere 35 knot gust.  Fortunately, I realized this immediately and was able to avoid danger.

I have a Rocna 40kg on 3/8 all chain rhode.  I use a 5m 1 inch 3-strand nylon snubber line.  When I dragged, the anchor was set in sand / mud bottom and had a 7:1 scope (taking into account high tide and free-board).   When I set the anchor, I routinely place the engine in reverse at 2000rpm or greater.

Frankly, I'm surprised that the anchor dislodged.  I didn't dive on the anchor this time... perhaps that was one important error.  I was under the assumption that a 40kg Rocna is a good choice as an all-around cruising anchor for this displacement, though I understand that one must decide what is best for a given sea bottom.

Thank you in advance.

James

SM347

Manjack Cay, Abacos