Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan Generator

Craig Briggs

Hi again, Heinz,

I just stumbled across a technique to flash your generator that I had not seen before. Nor have I tried it but it sounds like fun and just might solve your problem..

Plug an electric drill into an outlet after you set all switches/breakers so the outlet would be energized if the generator were working. Start the generator (keep it running with the preheat switch or jumper the shut-down relay). With the drill switched to "forward", pull the trigger, which, of course, won't do anything because your Onan is not making electricity. Now, spin the drill backwards by hand, while holding the trigger on.  This will generate a small current which will "flash" the generator. If it works the drill will start to spin forwards, so be careful.

Let us know!
Cheers,
Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sangaris@...> wrote :

Hi Heinz,

It is very easy, but I would suggest you "google" it on a site in your native language. Basically it is putting 12v across the coils to excite the generating circuit. There are many "U" tube expanations, too.

Good luck with it,
Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <heinz@...> wrote :

Thanks fore the anther but how do I re-flash a generator?
Heinz

Am 29.11.2018 um 10:41 schrieb sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Heinz,

I believe your Onan has a "No AC Output" shutdown switch that would shut it down as you describe.
With any luck, you may simply have to re-flash the generator to solve the problem.

If that doesn't work you'll want to check the circuitry on the generator for winding continuity, resistance through the brushes, etc. (I assume you have fixed the short circuit, of course, and checked breakers.)

Let us know what you find.
Cheers, Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <mcerdos@...> wrote :

Heinz,

I think you are dealing with a couple of issues.

Since you had an electrical short did you check the master circuit breaker on the generator?

Is the fuel supply sufficient? Are you getting enough fuel from the electric pump? Is the fuel clean? The most common cause of a diesel engine shutting down once it has started is lack of fuel. Believe it or not, it is very hard to stop a running diesel engine.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us