Dean

I am quoting Joel Potter. Please see message 14260.

Joel F Potter
Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2013
The Amel philosophy regarding using a whip instead of a insulted backstay is
many fold. First, whips are more efficient in almost every possible
measure. Second, if the rig comes tumbling down (unlikely on a Super Maramu
unless the standing rigging is over 12 years old or you do something
incredibly stupid, I mean silly) you can still scream for help with the ssb
as you'll still have an antenna. Third, gentlemen are unlikely to grasp the
whip as they would the backstay when answering the call of nature at the
stern. The internal flesh burn that happens if you are holding the antenna
during a transmission is a horrible wound that can quickly turn gangrenous
when at sea and professional medical treatment is not readily available The
primary disadvantage is the coating on the fiberglass deteriorates after
about 10-15 years in the 35north/35south belt we mostly all voyage in and
causes decreased performance as moisture is absorbed. You also can catch a
really nasty itch if you grab this then deteriorated antenna from the
fiberglass shards that will transfer into your palm. Ask me how I know this.

All the best,

Joel