Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel54 SSB installation

Attached is a photo of the twisted yellow/green wires that need to be removed so that your SSB ground plate is no longer connected to Amel Bonding.

This is from your manual: "The AMEL 54 has got 2 ground plates on the rudder, used by the SSB system.
If the boat hasn’t got any SSB, these plates are connected to the zinc anodes.
When setting up a SSB, disconnect ground plates of the anodes (behind the chart table)."

I attached a photo from the Amel 54 Manual showing where to find the yellow/green twisted wires.

Regarding the connection to the SSB Ground Plates with a SSB Antenna Tuner, here ia a quote that might help: "The SSB ground plate is connected from inside the rudder skeg by a copper strp to a bolt in the lazarette, stbd side. Connected to this bolt is a thick green yellow cable that runs through the outermost conduit on the starboard side of the boat and exits at the nav station where it is terminated behind the chart table and labelled BLU with blue pen - on the cable sheath."

I suggest a whip antenna for safety reasons.

I hope this helps you.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 6:45 PM j.jeltes@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all ,  fellow Amel owners. Since recently i am proud owner of Fidelis an Amel54 2009.

I am preparing her for paticipating ARC+2019. and decided to install a SBB radio.

The boat is prepared and has a pre-installed groundplate, yet there is no wiring diagramm information of available cabling.  Sadly SAV of chantier Amels has verly little information , apart from i need to disconnect the ground  cable from the SSB power contacts behind the lower charttable sidepanel.

Surely more owners must have gone through this trouble,  so anybody can give me advice is very welcome.

i am struggling with the following questions ?

where can i pick up the ground cable from the groundplate, to ground the antenne tuner? and should this of the flat rass type ?

is the isolated antenne cable between the masts suitable for the SSB ?

what anttenne is used for SSB,  isolated backstay of mizzen mast , or stand alone 6m flex rod type?

perhaps there is anybody who can give directions how to install the system.

( i have contacted local professionals yet these guys do not know this boat and want to start from scratch)

Jeroen  Jeltes
 Amsterdam.