Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel54 SSB installation

eric freedman

Dean,

When I had Kimberlite built. Jean Jacques was adamant about not installing a backstay antenna.

My experience with my other boats is that it is difficult to keep the water out of the coax over time.

My whip antenna is still not degrading, however it could use a touch up of the paint .

I don’t know if my antenna is fiberglass, upon looking at the missing spots of paint it looks like aluminum, but I am not sure.

I have had the antenna on Kimberlite for 16  years.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2018 4:09 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel54 SSB installation

Thanks Daniel,
Interesting (and entertaining), definitely food for thought. I had not considered Joel’s third argumennt at all! For me, another point for consideration would be the cumbersome/unsightly nature of the whip (even before it degrades).

At this stage I’m still not fully convinced about which Tx antenna solution I prefer. I believe a properly sized backstay antenna (in concert with a good antenna tuner) is every bit as efficient as a whip antenna.
In the unlikely event that my rig comes down and I really need to make “that” call, my first response is more likely to be EPIRB activation followed by digging out my emergency antenna.
(Anyone know of a dismasted SM or 54?)
Long term degradation of a whip is managed easily by replacement, and the poor aesthetic is offset by the ease of installation with no requirement for a rigger.

It’s still a line ball for me right now !
Luckily I have a few more months to think about it 😜

Many thanks
Dean Gillies
SY Stella
Amel 54#154

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.