Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Ballooner Halyard for Maramu, SN, SM and a few 54s

Bill Kinney,
  1. Amel trained all SM owners to use this line to go up the mast and many use it today. Yes, it may not need high strength capacity, but it's construction and reliability is very important to the safety of the owners.
  2. The outer sheath of the Amel OEM Ballooner Halyard is polyester according to Amel documents. The Amel documents do not state what the core is made of. It does not appear to be polyester. Most all of the OEM Amel running rigging lines have high strength cores including Kevlar. I can think of 6 or 8 as I write this. I am very interested as to where you found the core specs for the Amel OEM Ballooner Halyard? I will use it to update my information. If Amel specified polyester, I would be surprised and I will probably would not recommend it.
  3. I appreciate your suggestion/criticism, but actually I asked for input, corrections and clarifications because I am trying to help those that have asked for the same. Do you have anything else to offer to help me finalize this?
Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 2:30 PM greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill R,

The directions you show are for splicing a high tech dyneema or spectra core line.Is there a rational for using such an expensive line on the ballooner halyard which sees no load at all in normal use, and where stretch is not at all an issue?

Amel's specifications for this line call for 39 meters of 10mm standard polyester line.  That would cost about US$200.  Dyneema would cost almost 3 times that much for no benefit that I can see.

To be sure, other than the expense there is no downside I know of in changing from Amel's original specification on this line, and they are a LOT simpler to splice than standard double braid.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

All,

The boat I was aboard in Martinique last week did not have the original ballooner halyard. See the attached photo which is something I put together from memory on my SM. I would appreciate any/all input, corrections and clarifications. It would be great to know some exact dimensions, including the size of the shackle.

Once I receive your input, I will revise and post the final version for everyone.