Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Swivel Ball Stopper Plugs

Ian Park

Ian
It was a flush fit and the two halves of the furler rolled round smoothly. I guess that as long as the plug is kept oriented properly by the ridge the bearings keep it in place. The whole thing is a nicely simple design that works. I know that while I was experimenting with plugs the ball race jammed every time, until it was the right shape for the ball race and kept in position by that ridge.

No circlips on mine. I used standard Harken Delrin bearings. Marked as 10mm but measured a bit less. Still working well. Never did think of lubrication. Not much salt at the top of the forestay, but always gave it a good soak in fresh water when the sail came off.

Ian