Re: Original Autopilot Integration With New Chartplotter

Hi Cathy & Guillaume,

Your specific question has been answered in other replies, but I do wonder a bit about your overall plan for what seems an upgrade of the original equipment.

While I'm sure the Vesper is good equipment, with it's full display, I wonder that you choose it over a "black box" transponder, assuming you'll be looking at one or two Multi-Function Displays that would eliminate the need for a separate mounting for the Vesper display and the need to jump back and forth to evaluate AIS targets.

For example, if you're looking to go B&G, their (Navico) NAIS would mount out-of-the way and a B&G Vulcan or Zeus MFD would show the data over-layed on a chart, combined with a radar overlay, if you wish, as well as on the VHF (if you want it - I have it on the B&G V50 VHF but never bother to go there, since its much more useful on the MDF).

Anyway, just suggesting, as another reply did, that you may want to work with a vendor (be it B&G or other) to plan an integrated system, even if you want to replace things a piece at a time.
We worked with B&G at a boat show and they gave us an excellent integrated system plan, complete with schematics that we then tweaked to our final liking.

A fun project - good luck with it!
Cheers, Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <carpathia3@...> wrote :

Dear Amelians,

We became proud owners of SM hull #293 last summer... We received lots of help from Olivier Beauté and Bill Rouse, but there is still sooooo much to learn... This Forum is invaluable!

One question I have: the electronics on Carpathia is exactly the same as 18 years ago. Among other things, I would like to install a Vesper AIS transponder and a new VHF DSC/AIS (probably B&G V60), as well as create the beginning of a NMEA2000 backbone. How does it work for the antenna when two AIS systems coexist? The VHF will have an internal splitter but can there be another - external - splitter for the transponder, all this working from the same antenna, or do I need a second antenna?

Peregrinus, you seem to have installed this configuration? Others?

Many thanks for your help,

Cathy & Guillaume

s/v Carpathia III – SM2K#293