Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bottom job prior to the Panama Canal

John Clark

Hi Tom,
  We met in Martinique in 2017 at the rigging shop.  We are heading your way.

As far as Micron 66 and exposure to fresh water:  I had 66 on my old boat for years passing up and down fresh water to salt water with no issues.  On Annie we spent six weeks on the Pamlico river at Little Washington...fresh water at that point.  Never had an issue after.

We repainted in Trinidad with 66 two months ago.  Expect no issue in Panama.

Another Amel owner recommended we add the SeaHawk tin additive to 66.  We did not but he reports incredible performance with it.  It is not sold in US but is available in Grenada and Trinidad.  Might be in Columbia.

John
SV Annie. SM37
Carriacou

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018, 10:45 AM thomas.kleman <no_reply@... wrote:

Hi folks- we are planning the sequence of events prior to our canal transit and crossing. L'ORIENT (SM2K #422) is due for a bottom job in February which I intended to do in Shelter Bay on the Caribbean side. We've used Micron 66 with pretty good results in the past. In widening my information net beyond this group (I know, I'm dumbing down the gene pool) I've encountered conflicting info, some of which indicates that transit through the canal (largely fresh water) would damage my Micron 66 bottom paint, even though it's just a couple of days. I doubt this as I've had this boat in the Chesapeake for its first few years of my ownership.

I'm also planning to change out my Deka DT31 lead acid batteries early; my normal pattern would have had them dying in French Polynesia, and I can only imagine what that might cost. Has anyone shipped batteries to Panama from Miami or bought them from someplace in Panama/Colon ?

Likewise bottom paint........buy in Colombia (where I am now) ? Buy it in Panama ? Would love to hear thoughts.........sorry for the multi-part question.

Tom and Kirstin

SV L'ORIENT- SM2K#422

Sweltering in Santa Marta