Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bottom job prior to the Panama Canal

Thomas,

Unfortunately, you cannot get a definitive answer from International Paint. Sometimes they will tell you a few seconds will ruin it, and other times you will be told a Panama Canal transit will not hurt.

We transited the canal amd overnight in Gatun Lake with Micron 66. We didn't haulout and repaint with 66 until New Zealand. It was fine.

Since that time International has introduced Micron 77 at about the same price as 66.
International days it is good for fresh or saltwater. In my experience, it is not as good as 66 and you will have difficulty finding it in the Caribbean. It is available in the EU, including the French islands in the Caribbean.

I hope this helps you.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018, 08:45 thomas.kleman <no_reply@... wrote:

Hi folks- we are planning the sequence of events prior to our canal transit and crossing. L'ORIENT (SM2K #422) is due for a bottom job in February which I intended to do in Shelter Bay on the Caribbean side. We've used Micron 66 with pretty good results in the past. In widening my information net beyond this group (I know, I'm dumbing down the gene pool) I've encountered conflicting info, some of which indicates that transit through the canal (largely fresh water) would damage my Micron 66 bottom paint, even though it's just a couple of days. I doubt this as I've had this boat in the Chesapeake for its first few years of my ownership.

I'm also planning to change out my Deka DT31 lead acid batteries early; my normal pattern would have had them dying in French Polynesia, and I can only imagine what that might cost. Has anyone shipped batteries to Panama from Miami or bought them from someplace in Panama/Colon ?

Likewise bottom paint........buy in Colombia (where I am now) ? Buy it in Panama ? Would love to hear thoughts.........sorry for the multi-part question.

Tom and Kirstin

SV L'ORIENT- SM2K#422

Sweltering in Santa Marta