Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Stay in Pamlico Sound - Little Washington

John ,
   Wow!  Good job!  Thanks for confirming that Ocracoke is too thin, as the charts show.  Btw, Ocracoke is a fun side trip if you're in the neighborhood again, and, as you note, Oriental is a great stop, with a free city dock to boot.
   Heck, with a big canvas bag of water on your halyard to heel you over a bit, you could make it all the way up and down the ICW between Norfolk and Miami! And some consider the ICW "Mustache" as a badge of honor.
   Some fun trivia we picked up, regarding the ICW "mustache" is that the iron content in the soil on the banks in some areas is so high that during the Revolutionary War, the Yanks actually smelted it and got a very low grade iron that they used for cannon balls. Although the mustache may be more from tannin - whatever.
  Cheers, Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <john.biohead@...> wrote :

Hi Craig,
   We went inside at Morehead City   Definitely have to go at low tide.  We had 68.5 ft on the boards and went under with only the 3ft VHF touching the bridge.  Ran up the Core Creek channel again at low tide never touched.    Coming back we had to anchor at the Morehead City Bridge and wait for next low tide.  Easy anchor had no issues.

Yes they were surprised to see an Amel that far up but we had no problems.

The USCG warned us away from Okracoke even with a 30 day old Corps survey that clained 12 ft.  They said their 5ft draft boat was contacting bottom.

We went to Oriental as well staying at the Oriental Marina without issue.

Was a good experience even with the tea stain at the water line...it came off just fine with On-Off in St Lucia.

Regards,. John

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018, 6:52 PM sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@... wrote:

Hi John,

You mentioned staying in Little Washington, NC in your post about Micron 66.  Just out of curiosity, how did you get there - through Ocracoke Inlet?

Since returning to America we've been to LW a couple of times - love it and have friends there. I believe in your SM, though, your air draft precludes transiting the AICW, but in our Santorin we can do it.  However it would be great to have another option out to the ocean, which we try to maximize. (As Brother Joel Potter says, "the ICW is BORING", but that's just 'cause he's trying to sell SM's  - we rather like it, within limits.) Had thought Ocracoke was too shoal, or is there another option?

Thanks for any insights,
Cheers, Craig SN68 Sangaris, Ft Pierce, FL USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <john.biohead@...> wrote :

Hi Tom,
  We met in Martinique in 2017 at the rigging shop.  We are heading your way.

As far as Micron 66 and exposure to fresh water:  I had 66 on my old boat for years passing up and down fresh water to salt water with no issues.  On Annie we spent six weeks on the Pamlico river at Little Washington...fresh water at that point.  Never had an issue after.

We repainted in Trinidad with 66 two months ago.  Expect no issue in Panama.

Another Amel owner recommended we add the SeaHawk tin additive to 66.  We did not but he reports incredible performance with it.  It is not sold in US but is available in Grenada and Trinidad.  Might be in Columbia.

John
SV Annie. SM37
Carriacou