Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] more insurance games for the Caribbean

Alexandre Uster von Baar

I agree, and this is a pity because that will kill the cruiser business in the Caribbean. Already 1.5 years ago Island Water World Marina was telling me, they had much less boats.
Most remaining boats will be the uninsurable ones or from people who don’t care.

For those still insured who’s storm preparation has changed (like Bill was mentioning) 12 concrete blocks of 5000 lbs, you need to seriously study the possibility to achieve this. And if you can not what will happen. Your policy will likely be void, so in short you are paying extra insurance for nothing.

On my policy it said clearly: “failure to remove all sails will result in the policy VOID”.

Do not take that lightly.
Keep in mind Rafael on SM#246 who did not remove his bimini nor BBQ and had 31% removed from the settlement.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] more insurance games for the Caribbean
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 9:33 PM

Hi Alex,. No I think there visit an
industry wide avoidance of insurance for Caribbean right
now.  I am working through it and will report findings
On Tue, Dec
11, 2018, 6:33 PM Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
wrote:

I hope you never face that choice.

When I went back to St Bart, the Gustavia Harbour told me
(for Hurricane Irma) many sailors, (some I met), left and
were never seen again.

May be they are dropping you because you asked too many
smart questions about “really” insured for “agreed”
value, without any argument…

My insurance still will not reimbursed “agreed” value,
but they are raising the “market” value. I should know
more next week.

Alexandre

On Tue, 12/11/18, john.biohead@gmail.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] more insurance games for
the Caribbean

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

Date: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 3:41 PM

Hi Alex, yes saw Bill's and others

discussions.  My primary game plan for a storm is to
run.

If I am stuck  someplace I guess I will do my best in

place...it is all anyone can do.

On coverage outside of country:

TopSail UK has covered me since I bought Annie,
registered

in US and insured from UK.  They said it was not an
issue

as long as the vessel did not "reside" in the

US.  Documentation there was OK but staying there was

not.   I have a bunch of feelers out right now and
have

questions into TopSail to better figure out the

issue.