Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dinghy for a 54

Teun BAAS

I am now looking at my 4th and final dinghy since December 2017: most likely an OCTENDER; made in NEW ZEALAND.

1st dinghy was on board when I got AMELIT; a brand new 3.9M HIGHFIELD center console & jockey seat with 50HP outboard (with 6 hrs on the clock) Way, way too heavy for the davits to take on passage.

2nd a 3.2M RIB from NEW ZEALAND – tubes way too small causing water to come in. Sold within 2 weeks at same price I paid.

3rd  a 3.5M hard shell SmartWave as I needed something quickly bcoz “2” couldn’t keep my (female) guest dry. But SmartWave too heavy (120kg + weight outboard) in case beached by low tide and also too heavy to get on board in case of storage on aft sun deck.

So – although expensive and on back order, I am looking at ordering the OCtender; all owners I consulted in NOUMEA are very happy with their OCtender (3.5M = 48kg – the all carbon version is even lighter but 50% more expensive).

Best Regards Teun

AMELIT A54 #128

Dec 22, 2018   13:23:00