Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dinghy for a 54

Courtney Gorman

Yes but when I place it backwards it shortens things!!
Cheers and Merry Christmas!

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Sun, Dec 23, 2018 11:41 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dinghy for a 54

Courtney,

When you have that measurement from the back of the mizzen to the mizzen traveler, DON'T FORGET that the overall length of the dinghy includes the aft portion of the pontoons which exceeds the transom. 

Also, when considering a dinghy like the 3D or Highfield brands, be sure to consider the oar locks and paddles located on top of the tubes. This becomes an issue when inverting the dinghy for storage. Because of the oar lock issue, I recommend either AB or Caribe brands for Amels. The style and location of the AB and Caribe brands, easily allow for hoisting the dinghy to an inverted storage position on the deck aft of the Mizzen.

I hope this helps in your selection process.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that including the aft tube extensions alongside the Mizzen mast, I believe that you can store a 3.0 meter dinghy longitudinally and inverted on the aft deck...please check me on this...it could be only a 2.9m. However, diagonally, you can easily store a 3.2m, possibly blocking the deck access on the starboard side. 
"Measure Twice, Buy Once."

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 5:36 PM Courtney Gorman Itsfun1@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Mark I'll Try that!! By the way would any 54 owner mind measuring the distance from the back of the mizzen mast to the aft traveler specificly to the most forward part of the sheet?  Thanks
Courtney

From: 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sat, Dec 22, 2018 6:06 pm
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dinghy for a 54

Courtney,

Check with the Highfield dealers in the USA. The guy we purchased from will ship most places in the world. So will the dealer in Canada. Being in St Thomas there would be no duty from mainland USA. What about Puerto Rico?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Santa Marta, Colombia

Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2018 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dinghy for a 54

I had the 310 and it fit great but lost at sea last month
Now I am in St Thomas and there are no Highfield dealers Achilles are available but I have no information on how good they are.  A friend found a 12 ft fiberglass for 1800 used and I was wondering if it would fit as that's a lot better than another 4890$
thanks for the input
Courtney

From: 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sat, Dec 22, 2018 2:36 pm

I’m not sure how much bigger the aft cabin top is on the 54 but, we have the hypalon version of this dinghy and it easily stows on our 53 (diagonally). Off shore we lash it to the aft cabin top. On the hook it is on the arch davits. It is a great dink and we’d highly recommend it to anyone in the market for a new tender.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Santa Marta, Colombia

Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2018 3:08 PM

I believe it was Bill ROUSE, when he was on board, suggesting me 3.20 meter diagonally.

Best Regards Teun
AMELIT  A54  #128
Dec 22, 2018   12:07:39

Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2018 8:08 AM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dinghy for a 54

Hello all and merry Christmas I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the maximum length dinghy that can fit on the aft cabin top of the 54 longitudinally not across
Thank You
Courtney 
sv Trippin 
St Thomas .

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.