Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Purchasing House batteries in Martinique

Mark Erdos

Ric,

Most islands do not recognize YIT. Some require the hiring of an agent to obtain YIT exemptions. This will add to the cost and along with freight will put batteries about 40-50% hirer than USA prices.

In addition, trying to find fresh batteries in the island can prove to be a challenge in itself. Before any battery purchase understand what the manufactures coding is and determin how long they have been on the shelf.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Santa Marta, Colombia

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Friday, December 28, 2018 1:03 PM
To: 'amelyachtowners@...'
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Purchasing House batteries in Martinique

James,

Generally There is no tax on equipment shipped when marked “yacht in Transit”. Batteries are heavy and may face more scrutiny. Check with DHL too, Things may have changed a little since my visits. You can also get fuel tax free before or after you have checked out of the country.. Helps with Rum budget

Ric Gottschalk

Bali Hai SN

Annapolis

Sent: Friday, December 28, 2018 11:30 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Purchasing House batteries in Martinique

Happy Holidays fellow Amel owners. 

I would like to ask the group for advice on obtaining house batteries in Martinique.  

I am interested in upgrading my batteries to Firefly or some brand of lithium ion, though I doubt that such options would be available in Martinique (perhaps I am wrong? )

Otherwise, I would need to ship them in, though I understand the import tax is significant.  

What have others done in this situation? 

Happy New Year.

James

SV Soteria #347

currently in North Exumas

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.