Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Toe pulley (headsail)

Mike Ondra

Hi Alan,

I have emailed Bernard (without reply to date) about any testing he may have done relative to slippage and recommended line size/composition.

Peter de Groot has lightly tested this with success. Since I have Bernard’s sheaves and will not be on Aletes until February I will be eager for your evaluation and see if you find like Peter that these work.

Does anyone else have experience with Bernard’s sheaves?

If there is insufficient friction, a possible modification might be to drill into the slot/groove all around to create teeth. See sketch. Drill size and spacing is engineering far beyond my capability. Gut feel is between ½” and 5/8” diameter and 12 to 16 in total.

I am also a bit concerned about sharp edges chafing the line. May soften them a bit with sandpaper.

Thoughts so far pending other’s insightful comments.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240