Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Outhaul gear box - Outhaul Drive Shaft bottom shoulder bolt

Thanks, Bill and Eric.

I am not sure if my client's bolt at the bottom of the outhaul gearbox driveshaft was original, but his bolt does have a shoulder. It seems logical to me that you would engineer this bolt with a shoulder in order to keep the threads from damaging anything as the driveshaft turns. 

Hopefully someone who knows his bolt is original will respond.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 10:13 PM 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

Kimberlite came with a heavy brass washer that is tapered slightly at the head of the bolt end. From memory the brass washer is about 3-4 mm thick.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2018 6:46 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Outhaul gear box - Outhaul Drive Shaft bottom shoulder bolt

Bill,

The bolt that goes into the bottom of our main boom outhaul's Leroy-Sommers gearbox is a standard M8 hex bolt, coarse thread: 1.25 pitch.

Thread length 20mm, no shoulder--fully threaded.  Backed by a 32mm OD fender washer and standard lock washer.

I have no idea if it is original or not, but it fits and works.

Judging by where the threads engage, it looks like the shortest standard shoulder bolt (8mm shoulder length) would be a bit too long for the washer--as installed on Harmonie.

Hope that helps!

Bill Kinney

SM160, Harmonie

Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.