Engine Repower for Super Maramu

Dan Wilcox

Happy New Year!

This spring I will be repowering Feierabend, our 1992 Super Maramu which currently has a very tired Perkins Prima 80.  I'm in the pacific northwest, and looking at putting in a Yanmar 110hp.  The yard I plan to use has repowered another SM, and are well aware of needing an ungrounded engine.  Their concern is the other Yanmar 110hp they installed was modified to be ungrounded., but not sure if the new Yanmars can be with their electronics.  They have contacted Yanmar to see if this can be done with the new electronic version.

This has spurred on a couple questions:

1. I've read through some of the previous conversations, but don't have a good understanding why the Amel requires an ungrounded engine.  With major rewiring and replacing many of the electronics the boat has required, is there a point where it would no longer need an ungrounded engine?

2.  There is currently a Kohler 8EoZ generator that is original with the boat.  Is this also ungrounded, or is that not a consideration for the generator?

Thanks, Dan

SV Feierabend

SM #86