Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Head sail furling

Stephen Davis

Hi Kent,

I can’t help you with expertise in the area you are in, but if you are willing to backtrack to St Augustine, you can get some help. We had some work performed at St Augustine Marine in 2015, and they have a good rigger there who removed and rebuilt my headsail furler. His name is Andrew, he is still working there, and I’d trust him to do the work. In our case, the shaft and bronze gear were in good shape, but he replaced every seal in the unit, put it back together, and re-installed on the boat.

I’m on my way back to Hawaii from Florida tomorrow. I have a new bronze gear and stainless shaft for the furler, and would be willing to ship to you if needed. I would need you to get me replacements within a few months, as I don’t want to give up my spares. Also, I have a list of the all the seal sizes for the furler on my boat I can send you. With a little luck, Maude has some spares on the shelf to send you. Another option should be to take my new ones to a machine shop for duplication, and then send mine back to me.

Let me know if any of this will help you out.

Happy New Year,

Steve
Aloha SM 72
Hawaii

On Jan 2, 2019, at 12:31, karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all, Happy 2019!!!
We finally got away from the Chesapeake just before Christmas. Now in Lake Worth to visit friends.

Our jib furler failed to hold while shortening sail in 20kts of wind. The motor turns but sounds like the gears are grinding. After a few turns it gives and the sail unfurls. I just bought a new line for manually furling, 150’ of 3/8” StaSet. It doesn’t hold the sail furled part way, the line slips in the drum.

We managed to get it furled (loosely) completely, by augmenting the manual furling line with short bursts of the motor.

I think the gears are stripped or out of alignment. Does anyone know of a place in Palm Beach or Ft Lauderdale that might be able to do repairs? If not, will 7/16” line hold better on the furling drum until we can get to Amel Caraibes? Any other suggestions or thoughts?
I don’t want to disassemble the gearbox unless I’m pretty sure I can complete repairs before heading out again.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243