From: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 5:07 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Toe pulley (headsail)

Gentlemen,

This thread inspired me to take a look at the condition of the pulleys on my 2004 SM.  Thankfully there are no signs of cracking on either pulley but when I tried to remove them I found at least one fastener on each pulley had "welded" itself to the pulley due to galvanic corrosion.  It took me hours of heating, beating, and gentle coaxing to remove the corroded screws in the controlled environment of my workshop.  And in doing so I caused some minor damage to the threads in one of the pulleys.  I would not want to try doing this on the boat.

Given all that, I'm going to have my machinist make me a new set of these pulleys so I can replace them preemptively in a controlled environment.  I am going to have him replicate the original two-piece design as closely as possible with the raised ribs on each side offset so that the line will "weave" through them.  However, they will be made from 316 Stainless Steel to eliminate the risk of galvanic corrosion between the machine screws and the pulleys.

It won't be much trouble to machine a few more sets at the same time so if you are interested in purchasing some, send me an email at mfmcgovern@... (mfmcgovern at gmail dot com).  I won't have a final cost until we've made the first one but I estimate around US$200 per pulley made from 316 Stainless Steel (+/- ~10%).

Mark McGovern

SM #440 Cara

Deale, MD USA