Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow nav light re-wiring
Craig & Katherine Briggs SN 68 Sangaris Tropic Isle Harbor, FL
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
Well, Thomas, you got some interesting replies:
Joe and Tracie Cloudstreet were able to simply pull out the old wire, attaching a chase (line, I presume) to then pull the new wire back up. The wire went around the bow, so, presumably, there is only one hole in the deck on the port side. They don’t note if there is a splice at the port side light for the wire to continue around the bow over to the starboard side, or, perhaps, there are two sets of wires, both going through the port side deck hole.
Paul and Sue LaFrance (nee Nomad), simply tied a leader line to the wire (presumably at the light fixture) and were able to pull it back through the deck, tie a new wire on and pull it back up. They’ve also got a SM, but don’t mention the wire going around the bow, nor if they rewired both sides.
Neither sound like they encountered any Amel installed silicone nor had anything like the very difficult extraction I encountered. I doubt this is a difference between their SM’s and my SN, but I do hope your experience is as easy as theirs.
Let us know what you find.
amelyachtowners@..., <sangaris@...> wrote :
Yes, removing the bow pulpit is tough - far better to avoid that and, having done it both ways, frankly, it doesn't make the job that much easier.
I was able to remove the old wiring without removing the pulpit by just destructively ripping it out a few inches at a time, jerking the wire up and down as I went. I needed to clean up and enlarge the hole at the bottom some with an electric drill as I went along and got a needle nose pliers to grab the small bits. I also used a steel electrical fish tape to ream out the old silicone Amel had used inside of the pulpit tubing - really difficult. Then used the fish tape and to run the new wire.
It's one of those frustrating jobs that you just have to keep at until the wire and silicone finally give up.
Check to see if you've got any rust stains on the locker walls where the wires exit. If so there's been some water seeping in where the wire enters the bow pulpit and that is rusting out the carbon steel plate embedded in the toe rail for the pulpit bolts. It may eventually swell up and bulge out or crack the toe rail. Be sure to really seal off the new wires.
After you do the starboard side you'll have the technique down and you can tackle the port side, which will surely not be far behind in deteriorating.
Good luck with it!
Craig Briggs SN68 Sangaris in Ft Pierce, FL
---In amelyachtowners@..., <cloudstreet100@...> wrote :
I had this issue a few years ago. The wires had corroded (green) all the way back to the junction box in the port locker so I replaced everything from that point. I don't remember the exact details but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I definitely did not have to remove the pulpit. As Paul & Sue mentioned just attache a chase to the old wire before you pull/push it out. The wire goes up to the top rail and around the bow. I think I used some sort of lube on the wire but it went pretty well.
Best of luck,
Joe & Tracie