Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] VHF issues

Mark Erdos

Thomas,

We still have the original Shipmate VHF installed so not sure how much help this thought is; we experienced similar issues a couple of years ago. We noticed in the Bahamas a vessel anchored within a few yards of us hailed the Exuma Land and Sea Park about 15 miles away and got a response. When we hailed the park couldn’t hear us (boats near us could hear our transmission).

After going through the same process as you checking all connections etc. I eventually replaced the antenna on top of the mast. This solved our problem.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Santa Marta, Colombia

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 9:49 AM
To: Yahoo Group Amel
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] VHF issues

Hello,

we have also been experiencing intermittent transmission and reception issues with our main VHF iCom IC-M505, as we noticed that we had a better range with the portable one.

We have conducted several inconclusive tests (with main and cockpit speaker, without phone/wifi interference), checked the wiring at the chart table, and the antenna ends. All connections look healthy.

Any other suggestions for additional troubleshooting? 

Any recommendations on how to switch to the mizzen antenna? (do you swap antennas with the AIS)

@Mohammad: how did your issue get resolved?

Thanks for your help,

Thomas

GARULFO A54-122

San Blas, Panama

Previous related thread: "Raymarine Ray240 VHF"   here

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 at 01:51, 'Mohammad Shirloo' mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Duane;

We are also experiencing intermittent issues with the VHF. Our issue is reception, we seem to be transmitting fine. So when we have issue we transmit on the main VHF with the mast mounted antenna and receive on the handheld.

We have done numerous power and transmission tests and get intermittent results. We are going to replace the antenna at this year's haul out.

Does any one have a good recommendation for an antenna for a 54?

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 2:59 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Raymarine Ray240 VHF

Our VHF has a history of not working for completely inexplicable reasons.  It will receive but will not send, even at very close ranges.  It will work for a time and then not work for a time.  Thank goodness I bought a handheld for a backup.

It doesn't seem like it could be the antenna.  We listened to the USCG Charleston SC when we were at the FL/GA border, almost two hundred miles away (they must have a very tall antenna)

I'm planning on replacing it (after all, it's 12 years old), but thought I would see if there was a simple repair answer.

If you replaced it, what did you pick? 

Thanks,

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.