Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] more insurance games for the Caribbean

John Clark

Hi Chuck and Dan,
   I chose the Jackline policy from IMIS, finalizing the coverage right now...actually waiting for the bill.   My premium is $4100 USD, probably lower than yours because my boat is older.   Chuck is your boat UK registered?   TopSail told me their underwriters would not cover a US boat in the Caribbean.

                                            John

SV Annie  SM 37
Prickly Bay, Grenada

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:10 AM Chuck Lacey clacey9@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I just signed up with topsail for the year. $4400 with occ discount. Deductible is higher for damage under named storm other than that your standard fair. Best part is no storage requirements if your south of mid Grenada June thru November
Chuck
Joy SM 388

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 9:06 AM Dan Carlson dancarlson367@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

John,. How did you resolve your insurance issue?

Thanks, Dan Carlson,. SM#387

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 2:13 PM, john.biohead@... [amelyachtowners]

My current insurer (TopSail UK) informed me, shortly after their invitation to renew by the way,  that they will not be able to renew my policy due to changes in the underwriters requirements.

I followed the advice on the forum checking with a few other providers, including Y-Yacht and Pantaenius US.  Both reported that they could not provide coverage.  That left me a bit unnerved...I have been with the same company for years without issue, have no claims, keep the insured amount reasonable, and have not changed the use or location of the vessel.

Y-yacht reported that they were not allowed to provide coverage to a US vessel due to licensing.  It was not clear if that is due to the homeport location or flag)

I pressed Pantaenius US  for a reason and their response it that it is the vessel location in the Caribbean.  Their exact response is that no coverage is provided:  "South of 30.5 degrees north latitude in the Atlantic Ocean, inland waters, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, and the Panama Canal, between July 15th and November 1st,"

That seems to be an awfully large area with zero yacht insurance?  I asked about the southern limit, IE is Grenada OK...nope there is no southern limit.

Can this be correct?

Regards,  John

SV Annie SM 37

Carriacou