Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] march pump

Eric,

I am not sure what you are referring to. Are you referring to the AC saltwater pump motor? If so, the March Magnetic Drive pump motor is isolated from the saltwater with a magnet. Thus, there is virtually no heat transfer from pump to motor.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970
My calendar: 
https://theamelschool.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019, 12:58 'Kimberlite' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@... wrote:

Hi Bill,

I was wondering why the WC (water cooled) units are not recommended?

I did not like the look of the open frame AC (air cooled)  units.

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Friday, January 11, 2019 10:40 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] march pump

Eric,

Eric,

It's a long answer, and we all have learned more since my last response. If you want the short answer, it is yes, but....

Long Answer:

The basic rule of thumb is 1 gallon per minute (GPM) is required for every 4,000 Btu’s of capacity. So, 9,000 * 3 = 27,000/4,000= 6.75gal/min * 3.785=25.55liters/min * 60 = 1,532 liters/hour OR, 6,75GPM * 60 = 405GPH. The March AC5-C-MD is rated at 1000 hal/hr (GPH), which is more than twice what it should be rated at. However, as you know, when all 3 ACs are running, the salon gets its required saltwater from the output of the aft AC, which has been heated because of heat transfer.. And the fore AC gets its required saltwater from the output of the aft AC and the salon AC, which has been heated because of heat transfer. I really do not know how to take all of that "pre-heated" water into account.

All of that said, the Calpeda pump is rated at 4.8 sq meters an hour or 1268GPH. So the  March AC5-C-MD  pumps about 25% less water than the Calpeda, but substantially more than the rule of thumb requirement from above of 405GPH. Coastal Climate Control recommends the March TE 5.5C-MD-AC, which is rated at 1500 GPH, and 50/60hz.. Mark on CREAM PUFF installed this pump and is satisfied with its performance. I think the safe thing to do is use The March TE 5.5C-MD-AC

I hope this helps you and others with this decision.                          

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  
http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 9:33 PM 'Kimberlite' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

Do you still recommend this pump?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

And, if you want a real deal on a 230 volt March pump, check this out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/March-pump-AC-5C-MD-230v-1ph-1-8hp-3090rpm-NOS-free-shipping-/251866184098

I have one of these as a spare. I t hink it also might work for the Dessalator 160 liter low pressure pump.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.