Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] March Liquid cooled pump

Danny Simms

Hi Mark, I haven,t had to replace these pumps but I commend to you regular spraying with a rust inhibitor/ penetrant/water displacer. I use CRC marine 66.  I spray all electric motors, alternators, wiring connections, metal parts in the engine room. Likewise for electrical connections throughout boat. A boat is a harsh salt laden environment.   Done this for 10 years. Very happy with results. I have also used corrosion x which is much more expensive.
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 at 01:55, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Eric,

I couldn’t agree more.

Based on the very bad advice of Coastal Climate Control in the USA, I installed the March AC5-C-MD as a replacement to the original Calpeda pump. The first pump they sold me was defective and I had a difficult time getting them to replace it. The second pump has worked fine and is working satisfactory after 3 years. It was easy to install as it has basically the same footprint. At first, I was happy with the performance of the pump. However, the outer parts of the pump are starting to rust, especially the capacitor housing. I fully expect the pump to have a life expectancy much shorter than I had hoped. It is certainly not a perfect replacement for Calpeda and doesn’t fair well in the Amel engine room. I fully expect to have to replace the pump again during our ownership of Cream Puff..

I have notice on the newer model March AC5-C-MD pumps, the capacitor housing is now encased in what appears to be plastic. Since this is the area rusting the fastest, it is a big improvement on the design of the pump.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us